Monday, March 5, 2012

Blog Assignment 6

randy pausch at his last lectureAfter watching this lecture by Randy Pausch, I grasped the concept of having faith and pushing forward. Right now at this time I’m struggling with what I actually plan to do when I finish school.  I am stuck between the military and becoming a teacher. I believe having a passion for something in life is very important. I loved the fact that Randy kept faith and pushed forward with anything he did. He had such a positive attitude, regardless of his circumstances. I took these points in his lecture and applied them to my own life.

There was one quote that he used that became a favorite of mine from that moment. He stated that “we cannot change the cards that we are dealt just how we play the hand”. This quote meant so much to me. As a teacher I believe this quote can be very helpful. Teaching most likely will not be a walk in the park. We will come across many things that we find difficult but we must deal with them. We have to learn how to “play the hand” and overcome these strategies.

As a teacher our students will look at us as a leader or hero. The students will watch our every move. It is best to have a positive attitude like Randy and lead them in the right direction. Their future can rely on us as teachers.  The world is changing dramatically, and we must prepare them for this.

Randy had goals and dreams and he tried to accomplish them all. I believe as teachers we should not only do the same, but teach our students that also. Goals for ourselves will help us make positive changes for our students. We should have students set goals and work towards them not only inside but outside the classroom. Making them feel important is a very positive factor in the classroom.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Jasmine, I love the quote, "we cannot change the cards that we are dealt just how we play the hand". Even though Randy was counting down his final days he stayed positive, focused, and driven. All people, especially teachers, should follow that guideline. I hope you figure out which path you want to take in life whether it is the military or education. I wish you much success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although you have provided us with some contextual material and although you have given us the overall outline of the speech, you have not completed the assignment.

    Here are the instructions you were to follow:
    "Think about the teaching methods he advocated and used at" Carnegie-Mellon. "Identify and comment on those techniques in a blog post of at least 4 substantive paragraphs. You MUST include a discussion which includes all of the things discussed by Dr. Pausch that you can use in your teaching. "

    ReplyDelete